Bundt Cakes, Persimmon Sweet Potato
Persimmon Sweet potato Bundt Cakes, made with juicy Hachiya persimmons, delicate sweet potatoes and two distinct spices. Topping off these mini marvels, with a drizzle of whipped cream cheese glaze, infused with a hint of cinnamon whisky and sprinkled with honey roasted slivered almonds.
1/2 cup of sugar (white granulated)
1/2 cup of brown sugar
3 large eggs (room temperature)
1 1/2 sticks of Butter (unsalted ) at room temperature
1 cup of ripe persimmon pulp (soft Hachiya) 4 to 6
1 cup of mashed sweet potatoes (2 medium small sweet potatoes baked)
1 Tbsp. of pure vanilla extract (not imitation)
1 tsp. of fresh Lemon juice
2 1/2 cups of All-purpose flour (sifted)
1/2 tsp. of salt
1 Tbsp. baking Powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. of ground nutmeg
1/4 cup of coconut creamer
8 to 10 mini bundt pans 8 oz. (non-stick)
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees
- Lightly wash and rinse persimmons and sweet potatoes in cold water; dry with paper towel
- Bake sweet potatoes until they are nice and tender; 40 to 45 minutes (soft to the touch) allow them to cool before removing skin
- Remove tough flower-like tops of each persimmon and scoop out the pulp and place in a bowl; measure 1 1/2 cups and set aside
- Mash sweet potatoes for 1 cup; set aside until ready to use
- Crack each egg and place in separate small bowls; this will prevent any bad eggs or cracked shells sabotaging the recipe
- Have on hand 8-10 mini bundt pans (8 oz. non-stick)
- Grease and flour bundt pans (optional)
Preparation before cooking
- In a medium bowl add all of your dry ingredients, sifted flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk or mix well with a fork for one minute and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sugar and butter; beat at low-speed with electric mixer until texture is nice and creamy
- Add one egg at a time and continue to mix until each egg is blended
- Now add small portions of persimmon pulp and mashed sweet potatoes. Mix at medium speed; scraping the sides of the bowl
- Gradually combine dry ingredients with a large wooden spoon; add small amounts and alternate with your liquids; dry ingredients and then wet ingredients (coconut cream, lemon juice vanilla extract)
- Continue to mix until batter is smooth and slightly thick; (2 minutes)or 300 strokes with wooden spoon
- There should be no dry spots in the batter
- Do not over-mix or your bundt cakes will be tough in texture
- Scrape with a spatula or use a large wooden spoon to transfer batter into bundt pans
- Gently tap each bundt pan on counter top, before placing in oven; this will eliminate air bubbles
- Place bundt pans on middle rack of oven to bake
Preparation while cooking
- Do not open the oven while cakes are baking
- Now is a good time to prepare the glaze
- Bake bundt cakes for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown
- Prick the center of the cakes with a tooth pick; it should come out clean; if not your cakes will need more time in the oven
- Be careful not to over cook
- Remove cakes from oven and allow them to cool down for 10 minutes
- Remove cakes from bundt pans and place them on a wire rack or a long sheet of parchment paper
- Drizzle with glaze when cakes are totally cool
Preparation for Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar (sifted)
- 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon whisky (optional)
- 3 Tbsp. of whipped cream Cheese
- 1/4 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of almond creamer
- 1/4 cup of whipped cream (optional)
- pinch of fresh lemon juice
- With electric mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffy about 2 minutes
- Now add sugar and cinnamon whisky, beat for another 2 minutes
- Add remaining ingredients, and beat at low-speed until consistency is creamy enough to pour or drizzle over your Persimmon Sweet Potato Bundt Cakes
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 45-55 minutes
1 hour and 40 minutes
♥ Chef Ann Tips for Bundt Cakes
- There are many varieties to choose from when it comes to persimmons.
Most supermarkets have them in abundance now. The Hachiya
Persimmons were my choice for this recipe, due in part to their size
they yield more pulp than the Fuyu persimmon, which is smaller.
- It is important to use very ripe fruit for this recipe. Try to pick the
soft heavy ones when you go to buy. Just in case, you come across firm
Hachiya, not to worry.
- Allow persimmons to set out for a few days near
apples or bananas, this will help them to ripen quickly. After you wash,
rinse and dry them, take a paring knife and remove the flower-like tops.
This process will make it easy to scoop out the pulp.
- Sweet Potato vs. yam, an interesting thing happened when I was creating this recipe; my blog will give you all the details. However, I will tell you this much, don’t worry if you end up with yams! Your results will taste the same, delicious Persimmon Sweet Potato Bundt Cakes;
don’t worry be happy 🙂
- Let’s talk eggs for a moment; before adding eggs to a recipe, it is a good idea to crack each egg and put in a separate bowl. On occasion, it is possible to come across an egg that has blood in it.
In addition, the chance of cracked eggshells falling in the mix is another issue of concern.
- To grease or not to grease and flour your bundt pans; if using non-stick
pans there should not be a need for it. However, if you have had problems in the past and feel more comfortable with greasing and flouring your pans go for it! It certainly can’t hurt anything.
- Once you have poured your batter into the pans be sure to smooth over the tops with a spatula, this process will help the cakes cook evenly; tap each pan gently on counter top and this will keep air bubbles out of the cakes.
- Moving on to the subject of my glaze for these cute little mini
bundt cakes, have some fun and head over to Bev-Mo for the Cinnamon
Whisky. It adds a nice hint of flavor. This idea is optional of course.
- Some may not be able to find Coconut milk (creamer) no problem go with
Almond. Whatever you do, just enjoy this experience and let me know
what you think!
- My last tip for you is crucial for the outcome of these charming mini bundt cakes; don’t ever open the oven while cakes are baking. The problem that occurs with the oven being open is that it allows cool air to come in and change the temperature. This will cause cakes to collapse, sink in the middle and perhaps crack. This makes for a disaster.
- Persimmons and Sweet Potatoes, who would have thought? All I can tell you, is get ready for a sweet treat!
You will find the texture and taste simply amazing. Buon Appetito