Lemon Rice Soup – Basic Recipe
- 1 cup of short grain rice
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans of low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 small yellow onion (diced very small)
- 2 large lemons (sliced and seeds removed)
- 1 small (10.5 oz) can of (condensed) cream of chicken soup
- dash of salt and pepper
Preparation before cooking
- Rinse the rice in cold water for about 3 minutes running your hands through vigorously, and draining the murky water.
- In a medium size bowl let the rice set in cold water until you have chopped and diced your onion in very small pieces. Set the onion aside and repeat the process of rinsing your rice and draining the water.
- In a medium size pot pour 1 cup of water, 1 cup of chicken broth, diced onion, rice and a dash of salt. Bring to a boil for about 10 minutes with the lid on.
Keep a close eye on the pot so that it does not boil over.
- Turn the heat down to low and allow your rice to cook until it has absorbed all of the liquid in the pot (approximately 20 minutes).
- Now remove from the heat and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- While waiting for rice to finish cooking (without heat). Pour remaining chicken broth in a large pot and add cream of chicken soup, 1 cup of water and lemon juice.
Cook on medium high heat; stir your ingredients for about 2 minutes and add your rice. Continue stirring for about 3 minutes more adding a dash of salt and pepper to taste, lower heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
Preparation while cooking
In a small dish cut lemons in half and squeeze juice until they are completely dry.
Remove from heat and enjoy your lemon rice soup!
This is one of my favorite soups, I think it is a lovely and delightful comfort food especially on a cold day.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 58 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 18 minutes
NOTE: This is the basic recipe, I plan to offer the “Simply Delicious” version as a bonus for those who do the following:
If you would like to get the ‘Simply Delicious’ Lemon Rice Soup recipe please submit the following information: