Sweet Potato MuffCake – Basic Recipe
This is a toss-up between a muffin and a cupcake, so I decided to give it the name ‘MuffCake’. A perfect dessert or snack.
- 1 cup of sweet potatoes (3 medium)
- ½ cup butter (sweet)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 ½ cups shifted flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup of milk
Preheat oven at 375°
Preparation before cooking muffcakes
Scrub and wash potatoes in cold running water. Dry with paper towel and place in a baking pan or on a baking sheet and put in oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes without covering.
- Make sure potatoes are puffy to the touch before removing from the oven.
- Allow them to cool down for about 10 minutes before removing and discarding skin.
Continue preparation before cooking
- In a mixing bowl add potatoes and mash with a fork until potatoes have no lumps.
- Now add melted butter, oil, vanilla, lemon juice, eggs and sugar.
- Mix at medium high-speed for about 3 minutes making sure that the mixture is smooth.
- In a large bowl add shifted flour, salt and baking powder. Mix with a fork for 2 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients into your mixing bowl and mix at medium high-speed for 2 minutes.
- Batter will be pretty thick, add milk and continue to mix for about 1 minute on medium high-speed. The batter should be well blended, slightly thick and smooth.
- Now you are ready to begin filling your non stick muffin pans.
- Pour batter evenly not to the top of each muffin cup
- Place in oven on middle rack.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Muffcakes are done when you can prick the center with a tooth pick and it comes out clear!
- Remove from oven and wait 1 minute before removing from pan.
Preparation time: 22 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
Total time: 1 hours 17 minutes
Yield: 2 dozen
♥ Chef Ann’s ‘MuffCake’ Note:
- If you do not have a mixer, you can do this by hand. It will take an extra 15 minutes. You will need to stir ingredients very well until it is mixed thoroughly.
- Make sure that you test the center of the muffcakes before removing them from the oven.
- As stated earlier a tooth pick is the best gauge for testing.
Source: The benefits of the sweet potato | Chef Ann’s blog
NOTE: This is the basic recipe, I plan to offer the “Simply Delicious” version as a bonus for those who do the following:
If you would like to get the ‘Simply Delicious’ Muffcakes recipe please send the following information: