Eggplant Casserole, Just think comfort when it comes to this great entrée. Enjoy the tasty flavors that await you. Deliciousness to the very last bite.
- 2 medium large (purple) Eggplant sliced 1/4 in thick (round)
- 1 large red onion sliced very thin
- 3 large Portabella caps sliced medium thin
- 2 cups of chopped smoked turkey (turkey breast or leg)
- 2 cups of shredded Mozzarella cheese (reduced fat)
- 3 scallions diced
- 1 large zucchini chopped 1/4 in thick (round)
- 2 tbsp. of evoo (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1/4 cup of chicken stock (low sodium)
- 2 eggs beaten and a dash of sea salt
- 1/2 cup of Cashew milk
- Crushed Basil and marjoram sprinkle over eggplant
- Dried parsley and garlic powder over portabella slices
- Dried Oregano, and lemon pepper over zucchini
Wash and rinse all produce well before use.
Cut off both ends of the eggplant and zucchini, discard before you start to prep for this recipe.
Preheat oven at 450 degrees
Preparation before cooking:
- Pour eggs into 1/2 cup of Cashew milk and set aside.
- You will need an 11 x 7 baking dish or 2 quart (1.9 liter)
- Pour chicken stock into the bottom of the baking dish and add eggplant circles. Season with crushed basil and marjoram. Layer with onions then chunks of turkey and shredded mozzarella.
- Now place zucchini circles and sprinkle dried oregano and lemon pepper seasoning and add onions on top.
- Begin to layer eggplant and a drizzle of evoo. Season with basil and marjoram, then a layer of shredded mozzarella and turkey chunks.
- Start placing your beautiful rustic portabella slices and season with dried parsley and garlic powder.
- Layer eggplant then a drizzle of evoo. Season with basil and marjoram before adding onion, turkey chunks and shredded mozzarella.
- Now top with a layer of zucchini, oregano and lemon pepper.
- Repeat process, but be sure that eggplant is the top layer with no added evoo.
- Pour your egg and milk mixture over the entire eggplant casserole and add crushed basil, marjoram, some sliced onions, shredded mozzarella and diced scallions.
Preparation while cooking:
Lower oven temperature to 375
Cover and place Eggplant Casserole in oven for 50 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
Servings: 6 – 8
♥ Chef Ann Tips for Eggplant Casserole
Be sure to choose a deep purple eggplant with tight skin and heavy for its size. Be sure it has no blemishes or discoloration.
Keep eggplant in the crisper section of your refrigerator. It will keep nicely for several days after purchase.
Those of you who love eggplant are sure to enjoy this Eggplant Casserole.
It is most important that you pick a firm eggplant, this insures freshness and great taste! Fresh herbs and spices are of equal importance, but for those of you unable to find them use seasonings available to you and be sure to check expiration dates.
An all time favorite of mine is the Trader Joe’s (21 seasoning Salute) this is delicious on eggplant and zucchini. If you don’t have basil, marjoram or parsley go with this blend and you will be equally delighted!
This Eggplant Casserole freezes very well, should you have left overs. Also; if you wish to serve a smaller party, cut back and use one large eggplant and maybe two portabella caps, a medium size zucchini perhaps one and a 1/2 cups of chopped turkey and 1/4 cup of cashew milk with one egg instead of two. You can play around with the portions a bit.
Cooking time: reduced by ten to twelve minutes making serving size four to six.