Pork Loin Chops – Baked or Smothered
These lovely pork loin chops can be taken to another level just by smothering them in my delicious gravy. Pork loin chops baked or smothered with sweet peppers and onions, such a savory dish.This takes comfort to a whole new place!
- 2 large pork loin chops
- 1 small red onion thinly chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper thinly chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper thinly chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper thinly chopped
- 2 teaspoons of cream sherry
- ½ teaspoon mild chili powder
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of salt
♦ Chef Ann’s Notes: This portion is optional for those that do not care for gravy.
Ingredients for Gravy:
- 1 cup of chicken broth (low sodium or sodium free)
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon crushed garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cumin
Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
Preparation before cooking
- Rinse pork chops in cold running water and pat dry with paper towel.
- Wash and scrub all bell peppers thoroughly in cold water before cooking.
- Peel onion and rinse in cold water and set aside.
- In a small bowl add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper and mix with fork.
- Place chops on a medium size dish, slightly prick one side several times with a fork.
- Pour cream sherry over both chops on prick side only.
- With your fingers evenly spread or sprinkle dry ingredients of spices on both sides of chops.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight.
- Chop red onion and all bell peppers in thin small pieces (julienne style) Remove and discard all seeds from the peppers.
Preparation while cooking
- Remove chops from refrigerator and place in a cast iron skillet or in a baking pan.
- Cover with lid and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. It will depend on the thickness of your meat. You want to make sure they are completely done inside .
- You can make a small cut in each chop to make sure it is done or use a meat thermometer.
- There should be no pink or red inside.
♦ Chef Ann’s Notes: This portion is also optional for those that do not care for gravy.
Creating your Gravy
- Remove chops from skillet or baking pan and set aside and cover.
- Place skillet or pan on medium heat and add flour to the meaty bits and pieces left in the pan.
- With a fork or whisk vigorously stir and scrape the bottom of the iron skillet or pan making sure to lift all the tasty bits stuck to the bottom.
- Add chicken broth and Worcestershire sauce and continue to whisk, increasing the heat almost to a boil but not quit.
- Add crushed garlic, ground coriander and cumin stirring constantly until gravy starts to thicken, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Turn heat down low and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place chops in with the gravy, cover with lid and place back into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, dinner will be ready in five minutes!
Five minutes before removing Smothered chops from the oven, prepare to cook peppers.
- In a medium size pan at medium high heat, add 1 teaspoon of rice bran oil or olive oil.
- Add onion, peppers and a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir for about 3-4 minutes then cover and remove from heat.
- You want a slight bite of crispness to your peppers when you serve them.
All I can say at this point is Bon Appetite!
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes
♥ Chef Ann’s ‘Pork Loin Chops’ Tip:
- I prefer the loin when cooking a pork dish. Because the loin is a better cut of meat. It is always lean, tender and juicy if you cook it properly.
- Always cook pork thoroughly to eliminate an possible parasites.
- Also if you can’t cook with wines, you may substitute with a sweet vinaigrette or Worcestershire sauce.
- If you can’t find pork loin chops in your market, just ask the butcher.
- ‘Cuts of Pork – Guide to Cuts of Pork‘