Here we have a delightful healthy breakfast of 100% whole grain French toast, syrup and blackberries.
This recipe consists of 8 ingredients
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ vanilla extract
- ¾ cup of blackberries
- Syrup of choice
- 1 tbsp extra light virgin olive oil
- 4 slices of regular size 100% whole grain bread
♥ Chef Ann’s Note: If you use really large or thick slices of bread you make need to increase the amount of your ingredients a bit.
Preparations before cooking
- Start off with placing your blackberries in a small bowl of cold water. Allow them to soak for a few minutes and rinse them several times before placing them on a paper towel to dry.
- In a medium size bowl pour your milk and add the eggs, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Use a whisk to whip the ingredients well.
- In a large skillet add enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan at medium high temperature.
- Do not add your bread until your skillet is hot.
- Now place your slices of bread in your mixture of liquid one slice at a time, making sure to coat both sides before placing in the skillet.
- Allow each side to brown evenly before removing from skillet to a plate or platter.
- When all of your slices have browned, begin to slice vertically.
- Depending on the size of your bread you may have 12-16 strips.
Preparation time: approximately 25 minutes Cooking time: 7-10 minutes Total time: up to 35 minutes Servings: 2-4
♥ Chef Ann’s French Toast and Blackberries serving suggestion:
Plate with syrup on bottom, strips of French toast with perhaps a tad of butter and blueberries on top.
Wikipedia ‘French toast‘
“…blackberries are rich in bioflavonoids and Vitamin C, but other nutritional benefits include a very low sodium count and having only 62 calories to a cup.” Source: Huffington Post ‘Blackberry Facts: 10 Things You May Not Know About The Fruit’
NOTE: This is the basic recipe, I plan to offer the “Simply Delicious” version as a bonus for those who do the following:
If you would like to get the ‘Simply Delicious’ French Toast and Blackberries recipe please submit the following information: